Sunday, January 15, 2012

Only one word: FAIL

Well, I won't leave you hanging, but I will tell you that Dan and I spent a solid 48 hours staring at June's face trying to pick up her "cues" of when she had to go.  I will also tell you, that 58 out of the 60 times she went, we missed it.  Yes, that was 60 pairs of underwear that we washed - all kinds, and quite a few we threw away.  You can guess the stress levels or maybe you can't, but suffice it to say, this morning we gave up.

We basically looked back on the last 48 hours and asked ourselves- is this really that important?  Are we doing what is best for our family or what is our plan?  We decided that either June wasn't ready or we were over-eager, or we just weren't three-day potty trainers, or something, but we were not going to waste a whole other day trying to force June to figure out what she just wasn't getting, what she was feeling bad about, and what we were all killing ourselves over.

So, I write with humbled pride - Nay-sayers proved right. ;)

I was thinking the whole time that perseverance was the main goal here and that if we just thought hard enough that it would happen, it would.  But, then I looked at the situation and thought, maybe the lesson here is that sometimes, I need to gracefully accept that I am wrong and that we do all fail at times and that in itself is a lesson- one I can teach my children.  That failing happens, but it happens a whole lot more when you aren't walking with the Spirit's guidance, and this weekend, we sure weren't.  But its how you deal with the setbacks, failures, and disappointments that sets you apart.
So, we are back to diapers and ok with it.  Even though she still tells us every time while she is going that she needs to go pee pee, we will re-visit another time.  But she is back to the sweet happy toddler that she was and no worse for it and I have learned a valuable lesson, one that I unfortunately must continually re-learn: "Don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself.  Each day has enough troubles of its own."  Matthew 6:34

Just let it go and be content.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet friend, this sounds terrible! June is super smart so I'm sure it will be a breeze when you try it again and I hope today was much better for all of you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...