Thursday, April 29, 2010

Make Way for Ducklings!

When my brothers and I were little, my dad used to read us a book called "Make Way for Ducklings" that his parents had read to him when he was little. It is such an adorable book that every child should have and I have my own copy now on my shelf.
Well, today, I got to experience the real thing for myself! One of my neighbors knocked on my door and told me to hurry outside and look and lo and behold: mom and dad duck with their 14 little ducklings walking down our street! They were a very unusual species that I can't find anywhere on the internet...But I was just ecstatic! I ran inside, grabbed my camera and followed them down the street (at the same time committing a CPS violation leaving June asleep in her swing).

They were going away from the park and I was really worried that they were lost. There is no water on our street, but at the end of our street is the Alamo Heights Country Club. So perhaps, there is some water on the golf course. But to get there, they would have to first cross a really busy street. I had to go "make way" for them!!! So, I followed discreetly behind so as not alarm them, and they just walked along in their little line. They would stop every few houses and the dad would go a little ahead to scout things out (JUST like in the book!) and all the babies would gather behind the mom. Then they would start again. ADORABLE!
Well, of course, they came to the busy street. (I had picked up a few people on the way down the block) and we all stood in the street to let them pass. The dad definitely looked both ways though and off they went.


There was a huge fence in between them and the country club, but that did not stop them. The dad scouted out a hole, got through and then the mom and dad talked to each other for a minute and she found another hole for all the babies to follow. Just priceless!

I, of course, went home (June was still asleep), called the country club and warned them of their important guests. They said they would notify maintenance right away and get them safely to water! How lovely! I sure wish I could have gotten pictures of us directing traffic, but you will have to imagine. (And we are getting a camera lens that zooms alot better hopefully very soon.) There was this old man helping the ducks with me and he said "Now, there is a picture of a good family." And I thought how true that was. You know, ducks mate for life. And talk about parental obedience. There was no-one out of line in that family... I was so glad to get to experience that little example of God's ideal for a family. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think they are black-bellied whistling ducks. Look at this picture: http://www.klein.com/dvk/photos/birds/black_bellied_whistling_duck.jpg

    You can write the Bexar Audubon Society to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with this! What a sweet lil family! And of course leave it to YOU to follow them, protect them, direct traffic, and call ahead on their behalf! :) That's so you---- one of the things I love about you girl! June is SO blessed to have you as her Mama.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...