Friday, August 5, 2011

Another Egg Layer! (and gatherer)

Today, I checked the nest boxes and TWO more eggs! Madame Cluck laid her third blue egg (three in 6 days!) and Probably Miss Penny, but maybe King Tutu laid her first. Miss Penny and King Tutu will both lay light brown eggs, so I will just have to start noticing who is nesting and domesticating more and I will figure out the culprit. I am keeping an egg diary to track their egg frequency, so it is important that I know who laid and when. :)

I am trying to teach June how to gather (or at least hold) the eggs, but she really wants to bang them together and throw them. Not sure when this learning curve will even out.....
Dan leaves to hike the Enchanted Forest in Washington State on Sunday with two guys he hiked the Appalachian Trail with. He will be gone for a week ( :( :( :( ), so I might attempt to make the hens' roost on my own.
http://www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-perches.html
Isnt't it weird that that is what they like to sleep on? Birds of a feather....

Oh! And we ate Madame Cluck's first two eggs- delicious and very normal! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Eggs are so exciting!! The yolks don't look as 'neon' yellow as mine that come from the farmer's market. So nice to know how 'clean' your eggs are compared to what we buy in the stores. You should have planned to come stay with me while Dan is gone!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...