Monday, January 10, 2011

Chickens- finally!!!

For Christmas, Dan said he would build me a hen house. I have been begging for chickens for three years and he finally consented AND said he would make the house! So, he has been busy at work in the garage the last three weeks (look at his cute little safety goggles!), and it is much more than I expected! It is pretty much a real house, just smaller. Of course, he is very motivated by the fact that he is using the product he sells, Hardie Plank Siding to make it....

This picture is before the siding (just the frame), but he has already added siding. And he is painting it red with white trim and a tin roof- oh wonderful!!!
So, today, I ordered our little chicks. (I can barely contain my excitement) I am allowed to get three, but I ordered four in case one dies in shipment :( (I am kindof hoping it is the silver lakenvelder because she is supposed to be the least friendly- but I wish death on no fowl!) Anyway, here is what the little chickies that we ordered will look like:
Barred Rock Chick

Ameracauna Chick

Buff Brahma Chick
Silver Lakenvelder Chick

Of course, the hens will not be as cute as the chicks- just like puppies. But we will love them and raise them and eat their eggs (the ameracaunas have blue eggs!!) And, they will love us, of course! They are arriving on June's birthday- Happy Birthday, June!!! For those of you who don't know, that is February 23rd, so set your little timers for that date. Can you tell I am excited?!?!? (the hens are below in the same order as above...)

2 comments:

  1. Little chicks will be so fun and Dan did a GREAT job on the henhouse. And please please post June walking so I can see it on a big screen instead of a phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean only you sweet girl, and may I just say I love this idea! How great will fresh eggs be, I go through about 1 1/2 dozen each week, so I would totally be into this.....if of course we had more room, if of course we didn't live in the city, if of course my husband liked animals, and if of course the thought of cleaning up after them didn't make me gag!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...